I'm applying to the Ph.D/A.M program. Can I send my application materials directly to the department?
Online submission of applications is required. Please do NOT send any application materials to the department. The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) of Harvard University administers admissions to the graduate programs offered in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations. Please refer to the instructions provided on the GSAS admissions website.

Whom should I contact with questions about the A.B., A.M., or Ph.D. programs?
Eva Misho is NELC's student coordinator, for current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as the department contact for prospective students. Please call her at 617-496-4960, or email eva_misho@fas.harvard.edu with questions about the department’s degree programs.

I want to make an appointment to meet with a faculty member. Do I do this through the department staff?
No. All faculty primarily seated in NELC make and keep their own schedules. Please visit our faculty page for faculty contact information.There are faculty primarily seated in other departments or schools (e.g., the History Department, or the Harvard Divinity School) who may have assistants; to find those not listed on our faculty page, you may use Harvard's Online Directory.

Whom should I contact about applying as a visiting scholar?
The department is only able to sponsor a very limited number of visitors at a time.  All visiting research appointments in NELC require the sponsorship of a NELC faculty member and the approval of the NELC faculty.  Please submit an application to the NELC Department Administrator, Carrie Mountain, at cmountain@fas.harvard.edu.  Your application should include your CV and a statement explaining your proposed plan of research while at NELC.  The research proposal should also include the proposed dates of your visit, the name(s) of any NELC faculty members you hope to work with, and information about your source of financial support for the visit.  Your application will then be submitted to the NELC faculty for review.  Due to the large volume of requests we receive, we ask that you do not contact faculty directly to request sponsorship.

How can I make a gift to the Department?
To make an online gift to the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, please click here (for general University gifts). Select "Make a gift to a School " followed by "Graduate School of Arts and Sciences." When prompted to select a fund please choose “Other” from the dropdown menu and enter a note in the “Other Fund Name” box with instructions that this gift should go to the “Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations.”

Do you accept unsolicited applications for either academic or administrative positions?
No. If you are interested in employment at Harvard University, please visit this page.

Whom should I contact with financial questions?
Contact Soma Roy at 617-496-6982, or roy@fas.harvard.edu

Whom should I contact to schedule an event or book one of the Semitic Museum classrooms?
Contact NELC Office at 617-495-5757, or nelc@fas.harvard.edu

Whom should I contact to purchase out of print items published by NELC?
If you are looking to purchase out of print items published by NELC, or to obtain copyright, re-publication or other usage permissions, contact the Ottoman Studies Foundation. The OSF is located in Turkey; the correspondence address (and primary contact name) is:
Gonul Tekin
P.K. 37 34080
Fatih, Istanbul
email: ziggendbc@hotmail.com
The foundation’s general information website is http://ottomanstudiesfoundation.com/

Who publishes The Journal of Turkish Studies?
The Journal of Turkish Studies has been replaced with the Journal of the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association and is published by the Indiana University Press for 2016, available as of January 2016.