New Faculty & Visiting Researchers

General Information for New Appointments
Main NELC office telephone: 617.495.5757

Harvard I.D. Card
On or after the date your appointment begins, you can pick up your I.D. card at Smith Center, room 807. Call ahead (617.496.7827) to be sure your I.D. card is ready for pick up. You will need a photo ID (driver’s license or passport) with you for identification. 

Harvard Email
To request an Outlook account, please call the HUIT Service Desk for assistance at 617.495.7777 or email them at

Housing Information
Harvard University Housing (HUH) offers a broad range of housing and real estate services to the University’s graduate students, faculty, visiting researchers, and employees:

Widener Library
Study carrels and spaces are available at Widener. To apply for a carrel, submit a Widener Carrel Request Form.  Forms are accepted via the web or in person at the Widener Billing Office, Room 130 (Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.)  The form is available on the website:

Athletic Facilities
To obtain membership for the recreational facilities, go to, click on Recreation and then click on Purchase Membership.

Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) – locally referred to as the "T". For information about the bus and subway system, please contact the MBTA website: or the Harvard Commuter Choice office.

NOTE:  If this is a paid position, you will have to complete an I-9 (in person with required documentation) before your appointment can be finally approved. If you do not have a social security number, please visit the Harvard International Office website: and from the list of items on the left click on “Taxes and Social Security”; then click on “Social Security Numbers”; then in the middle section, click on “Informational Flyer”.